Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Supercars/Musclecars-For Sale

Please note

Old Today, 08:58 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1965 Impala SS 396/425 Project

I'll offer this up here before going to a wider audience. I'd love to see it go to one of the good people on this site.

This is a 1965 Impala Super Sport that originally came with a 396 / 425. One of 1800 made.

I have owned the car for nearly 20 years and bought it from the second owner. The original owners bought the car new from Allan Gwynn Chevrolet in Glendale, California and drove it until the mid 1980's. Around the same time as the gas crunch of the 1970's the wife, who routinely drove the car to work, rear-ended somebody at a stop light. A friend of theirs who lived across the street was a mechanic by trade and sourced a front clip from a wrecking yard and repaired the car. At the same time, with around 80,000 miles on the clock, he replaced the big block and original trans with a 327 and 660 case Muncie. That 327 is still in the car and it will drive onto a trailer.

I have a complete carb to pan 396 / 425 from another Impala that is perfectly dated for the car. I drove from California to Michigan around 2008 to buy the engine. About the only thing I don't have is the original air cleaner but I have a close replica to go with it.

The passenger side floor has a small rust hole probably caused by a leaking heater core. Unfortunately, the second owner was driving to school one morning and blew a right rear tire. That opened up the wheelhouse. He never had it repaired so every rainy day he drove it water went directly into the trunk. The right side and center trunk pans will need replacement and I have those panels. The outer wheel house will need replaced. The right quarter will need some work. The rest of the body is in excellent shape.

The interior is completely original and needs restored. Some 65 Impalas came with build sheets and there may still be one there.

Proof of what the car is is provided by the original Protec-o-plate, a letter from the widow of the original owner, and the high redline tach in the dash that only came in the 396 / 425.

I priced the car at $21,500 and the engine is worth half of that. I can be reached at 760-802-9376 if you have questions. The car is here in Tennessee.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to travlnz28 For This Useful Post:
PeteLeathersac (Today)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry P1050766.jpg P1050765.jpg P1050750.jpg IMG_20240831_105950893.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...