Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Chevrolet

Old Today, 12:20 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,977 Times in 796 Posts
Default Garwood Motorboat Corvette

Garfield Wood was a successful businessman born in 1880 and had a passion for wooden racing boats. He built and raced many world record boats in the 20’s including numerous Miss America named boats.
He bought this 1970 Corvette new as a gift for his grandson, Garfield Wood III, when he graduated from High School.

Garfield Wood III drove the car on occasion for three years and for unknown reasons, put it away in 1973 with the original battery and air filter still in place. It had registered only 10,500 miles.

In 2019, the estate sold the car at auction as a non-running vehicle. The car was prepared for driving service by Dan Martin and run through the NCRS system. It achieved Regional and National Top Flight awards, Performance Verification award, and the Duntov Mark of Excellence award.

The second owner ordered a new ZO6 and put the car up for sale recently. I really had little interest in the car even though I had seen it at all its judging events, I just never inspected it the way I should have. I finally drove 40 miles to New Braunfels, TX to look at the car and fell in love with it.

The car now has 11,219 miles.

Part of my motivation for purchasing this car came from seeing Napa68 (Tim) and his beautiful 8,900 mile 1970 LS5. I fell in love with that car, also. This car reminded me of his green Corvette.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:
L_e_e (Today)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry 70 warranty plate 15192 plate reversed.jpg 70 15192 rear picture.jpg 70 15192 original battery and air filter.jpg 70 15192 exhaust pipes.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 12:50 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,542 Times in 984 Posts

I'm hoping Tim G posts some of the other pics he has shared with me. This car is stunning!!!!
Old Today, 01:34 PM

Thanked 1,977 Times in 796 Posts

I had it on jack stands for cleaning, it's sitting high after lowering it.

Original battery has been fitted with a sealed battery and can be used for judging.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:
Dave Rifkin (Today), L_e_e (Today)
Old Today, 01:48 PM

I've been to Gar Wood's mansion on Grayhaven island on the Detroit river, If you're interested do a Google search as there are a lot of crazy stories associated with that place.