Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,481 Posts
Default Need help identifying 1966 Chevelle column parts

I have been working on getting the original column reassembled and back in the car, but am missing a few pieces that I don't have and don't recall removing during disassembly. I, also, can't find anything like it on the www to purchase. I have a similar part for the Camaro, but the shape at the bottom seems far different than what the Chevelle would be to sit flat.
First is a "grommet" that is basically a rubber cover at the bottom to hide the metal mounting plate. On page 384 of my AIM, it is item K in the pic and there are no part numbers associated with any of the parts on that page. I'm wondering if anyone has a part number to search for this part, or a grommet they would sell.

The second part is a bracket and clamp that mount under the master cylinder and hold the end of the mast jacket. This is on page 159 and there are part #'s for these pieces. I don't recall ever seeing anything like this on my car, or removing it.
Thanks for any help people can provide...
Attached Images

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_1664.jpeg IMG_1661.jpeg IMG_1658.jpeg DSC01212.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 12:06 AM

Mitch, I just went through something very similar with my 66 Nova. Column had been apart sometime in its life, I was missing critical parts, had the assembly manual in front of me that was referencing parts I didn’t have and were seemingly unobtainium online, even to find a reference photo. I ended up getting on the lathe and making several parts I needed. I see some similarities but also differences between 66 Nova and Chevelle going off your assembly manual photos compared to mine however when I’m with the car over this weekend I’ll look into it a little further and see if I can be of assistance.
The Following User Says Thank You to ACR For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 12:39 AM

Thanked 4,365 Times in 1,034 Posts

Mitch, been a long day here, tomorrow I'll look at my '66, and I also have a spare '66 column (about the only extra '66 part I have)
The Following User Says Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 01:15 AM
Yenko Premier Member

Mitch, Jeff Helms can answer better than me but..
I recall him saying the rubber seal is just that, a piece of 1/8” or .080 flat rubber. The repop is a 1/8” piece of foam.
The mast jacket clamp/bracket, if it’s the same as 67, I have one and you can have it, with fasteners, if it’s correct for what you need, that I’m not sure on.
Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to 67Ss4spd For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67since67 View Post
Mitch, been a long day here, tomorrow I'll look at my '66, and I also have a spare '66 column (about the only extra '66 part I have)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Ss4spd View Post
Mitch, Jeff Helms can answer better than me but..
I recall him saying the rubber seal is just that, a piece of 1/8” or .080 flat rubber. The repop is a 1/8” piece of foam.
The mast jacket clamp/bracket, if it’s the same as 67, I have one and you can have it, with fasteners, if it’s correct for what you need, that I’m not sure on.
Steve
Bill, thanks for being willing to look at yours, I appreciate it.

Steve, thanks, that's very generous on the bracket. I would think it's the same, except possibly for the diameter, as the '67 is the first year of collapsible and may be a little larger. I can work with the clamp being a little large...

The rubber part I need is a large cap that slides down over the mounting plate for appearance. The flat rubber band you refer to from Jeff, is labeled L in the diagram. Luckily, I have that part, and that slides into the mounting bracket to close that gap. After measuring mine, I believe a 1.75" long piece of radiator hose with 2" inside diameter would work just fine for that.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
Old Today, 03:45 PM

Thanked 4,365 Times in 1,034 Posts

Pix from my '66 Mitch. Not seeing that bracket though?? On '67 it's an integral part of the firewall hole cover plate.

Didn't find the spare column, apparently that's passed on to a new home.

Maybe '65 would be similar to '66??

Good Luck!
Attached Images

Old Today, 07:49 PM

Thanks Bill, I don't recall ever seeing the bracket on the outside of the firewall. I have a couple other mounting plates that clamp the tube on the inside, but the AIM shows them for different columns than a floor shift one.

Did you look at the inside to see if you had a large rubber cover over the mount ?
1967 Camaro ss/rs