Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > AMC

Old 04-17-2024, 02:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

In the town I live in, there is an air force base( 762 Radar squadron) now closed. As a kid I live just down the street from the access road. Just like every military base in the world in the late sixty's, early seventy's, most of the base guys had fast cars. There was this guy (last name of "Strange") who had a Rambler SC. He hated the color scheme (A) and painted it a cranberry red color without the SC trim. He also put a flat hood on it, that further disguised the car. The typical time span for guys stationed there was two and one half years, and he got shipped out. He sold the car to a guy one town over, and the guy who bought it, used it more as transportation than what it was born as. Never knew what happened to it, but If I had to guess (a few people knew what is was, but never gave it more of a thought) I bet it went to one of the local junkyards as it was driven year round for most of it's life.
PeteLeathersac (04-20-2024)
Old 04-17-2024, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,158 Times in 373 Posts

While I'm a Chevy guy, these cars are very cool looking. I know if I was at the track with my car I'd be checking out your car ASAP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pro Stock John For This Useful Post:
LetsFNgo (04-19-2024)
Old 04-19-2024, 08:31 PM

Love it, very cool car! It's great that you were able to find the history and contact previous owners. Getting that information is so nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to mssl72 For This Useful Post:
LetsFNgo (04-19-2024)
Old 04-25-2024, 01:25 PM

Got my new (old) N50’s mounted. Since I didn’t like the new M&H N50’s and I have another car going together to use them on I figured these were perfect for this car
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsFNgo For This Useful Post:
Bill Pritchard (04-25-2024), Pro Stock John (04-25-2024), Too Many Projects (04-25-2024)
Old 07-05-2024, 10:33 PM

Couple of pictures from the American Motors Owners National Meet this year in Virginia. Car had a crowd around it for pretty much the entirety of the show. Though I heard there were some complaints about the car being allowed to be parked with the SS AMX and other nicely restored SC’s. My dad and I had a blast though and look forward to Carlisle with it next week.
Attached Images

Last edited by LetsFNgo; 07-05-2024 at 10:34 PM. Reason: Spelling error
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LetsFNgo For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (07-06-2024), Bill Pritchard (07-12-2024), Dave Rifkin (07-06-2024), Igosplut (07-06-2024), L78_Nova (07-12-2024), ls6owner (07-06-2024), markinnaples (07-09-2024), Tenney (07-06-2024), Too Many Projects (07-06-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 04:24 PM

Must applaud your diligence
Old 07-12-2024, 05:33 PM

Must applaud your diligence
Old 07-14-2024, 08:16 PM

Update after Carlisle:
I couldn’t be happier with the car after Carlisle. It’s rough. It’s loud. It’s crude. And people loved it.

I actually spoke to two guys who remember this car street racing around NYC in the 1970’s and 80’s. The one owner Brian mainly hung out at Spiro’s House of Speed in Queens. I talked to two gentlemen from Brooklyn that remember this car hanging around the Connecting Highway and other street racing spots around NYC back then. They actually think they might have photos of the car hanging around Astoria park and the street races back then so they’re going to reach out when they find any photos.

One actually still talks to Spiro and might have info on the car from back then as well. Seeing those guys relive their youth looking at this car makes dragging it around worth it. Cars(especially stuff like this) should elicit an emotion and bring back memories. And these guys thinking about being 20 hanging out in Astoria Park and cruising for chicks, and this car surviving all of that, makes it worth it. I can’t describe how happy I was seeing these two random gentleman so happy to look at this poor old SC Rambler.

If you happened to hang out around there back them and possibly remember this car, or even if you don’t remember this car, but hung out on the Connecting Highway, or out near JFK airport, or any of the other NYC street racing spots, I’d love to hear your stories.

Also if anyone has a House of Speed decal, I’d love to buy one or more. Because history with this stuff is important. And I’d love to have actual stickers from that time frame that were removed from the car later.

Now that the car is home it needs a little love. I’m finally removing the disconnected power brake booster and converting it to simple manual brakes. And though I had put a much newer set of traction bars on it, I know it had original Lakewood Traction Action Bars on it, so the Carlisle find bars are being swapped into place of the ones I made work for now.

Thank you for reading this. Hope it brings back memories.
Attached Images

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LetsFNgo For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (Yesterday), Pro Stock John (07-14-2024), Tenney (Yesterday), Too Many Projects (07-14-2024)
Old 07-14-2024, 08:33 PM

Thanked 3,214 Times in 1,466 Posts

It's amazing to see old cars like this find old owners or people who knew of it in it's glory days. Nice of you to care and let them reminisce too.

Now put a cotter pin in that axle nut before it works itself loose...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old 07-14-2024, 10:12 PM

It was a lot of fun to listen to these 2 old Italian guys from Brooklyn talk about Spiro’s House of Speed, Spiro’s 65 Chevelle named Barbra Ann, and hanging out in Astoria Park cruising for chicks before the “yuppies” closed it to cars. I can only hope there’s pictures of this car hanging out there or at any of the NYC street racing haunts because that would really help its history.