Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Lounge

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Today, 02:42 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,285 Posts
Default Bought a REAL tow vehicle

I have chronicled my journey turning a plain jane 307 PG 68 El Camino into a beast of a tow vehicle. Beast is a relative term here. Compared to any other El Camino on the planet; yes. Compared to a REAL tow vehicle; not so much.

Even with all the upgrading (boxed rear frame rails, built in receiver hitch that would survive a nuclear disaster, air shocks in the rear, cargo coils, big radiator, external oil cooler, extra trans cooler, 5.7 sbc with roller cam, 4L60E with stand alone controller, and 3.31 12 bolt rear, big Corvette/Truck disc brakes in the front and 12 inch drums in the rear) it is still a bit light for heavy towing.

Don't get me wrong, it has NEVER let me down. Came close on the trip to St. Louis and back when a BRAND NEW T-stat failed causing chronic overheating on the trip. But still made it home even with a trailer on the back. It is just too light to haul really heavy loads. I don't do that often, but when I do, I want something a bit beefier. The El Camino is actually on parr with my 04 Yukon XL Denali AWD. But, being a 1500, even that one isn't great with the load is really big. Small car (like the Spitfire I just sold) on my 18 foot car hauler; no problem. Big load, just don't feel as good about it. We want to keep the Yukon as it is incredibly comfortable for a 20 year old vehicle, and it has ALL the creature comforts, even the Bose sound system which still works perfectly. And full time AWD means it is the perfect winter beater when we get ice and snow.

I have been jealous of Ryan's tow vehicle acquisition from last year:
https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...=176903&page=5

Such a smart choice for his needs. And, given his location, I certainly get the 4WD choice.

So, I have been keeping my eye out for something similar. I did not want four wheel drive. I won't be driving it in the snow. Wanted the simplicity of 2WD. I agree with Ryan, and decided against the 3500HD dually. Buying four tires sucks bad enough. I didn't care if it had leather, power seats or the high end stereo, auto air, etc. In fact on older vehicles, sometimes simple is better; less to go wrong.

This truck literally fell into my lap. Bought it from a long time friend. His dad gave it to him. 87000 actual miles. Extended cab. Cloth rear in pristine condition. No clear coat peeling. Full 8'2" bed, so I can fit full sheets of plywood in the bed with the tail gate up, even with the camper shell on it (if I choose to keep it). Has the tow package with the self leveling rear. Yeah, my El Camino levels for the most part (until the cargo coils and air shocks get overwhelmed) but it isn't auto. I have to manually fill the shocks which I can do from the cabin. Was nicer when my JacPack controller still worked.

Here's the best part. 496 (8.1) with the Allison trans. What a beast. Yes, I know, it will pass everything but a gas station. The only service light on was "change oil but that is only because it had not be reset last oil change. I reset it this evening. Even the "service engine soon" light is off!!!! Oil has not been changed since March 2023, and it is just as clean and clear as you could hope for. Records indicate QS synthetic, which is what i am using in the Yukon.

What needs addressed (other than standard fluid changes, checking brakes etc. and a really good washing):

1. Front tires are not Load Range E. Rear tires are, but are some brand x made in China. So, a new set of tires is in order.

2. Hickey on the RR of the bed. Most of the damage is below the belt line, so will likely just to a spot repair. The slight damage above the belt line will PDR out I am certain.

3. One big scratch on the tail gate. May or may not fix that. It is a work truck.

4. Odometer read out is intermittent. An internet search indicates there is a peg connector on the back side of the instrument cluster that likely needs to be resoldered. Very common problem that is fixable in 30 min at no cost.

5. There is some glue residue on driver's door where a sign had been. Some of it came right off with brake cleaner. The rest is very dry and old. I was able to lightly scrape a small part and it comes off as powder. Then compound and it the underlying paint comes shining through. So, that will probably take longer than the dash repair.

That's it. I hadn't even HOPED to find an 8.1 Allison combo, as I never see them around here. But I had driven one a few years ago, and was really impressed. I just can't do a diesel, as I can't stand the smell, and don't know how to work on them. Finding an 8.1 with 87k miles made it too good to pass up.

The guy I bought it from gave me a smoking deal, as he wants to be able to borrow it a couple times a year. He would have kept it, but it won't fit in his garage, and barely fits the driveway. He made his wife really happy today.
Attached Images

dykstra (Today), L_e_e (Today), olredalert (Today), Ryan1969Chevelle (Today), Tenney (Today)
Attachments - The Supercar Registry DSCN9863.jpg DSCN9862.jpg DSCN9861.jpg DSCN9859.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...