Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-01-2023, 01:37 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 69 Camaro caliper slide pin/rod originality question

Happy New Year for 2023!

I have been working on restoring my original brake system components and am at the front calipers now. I have restored/rebuilt one and was testing the caliper slide pins (pad retaining rod) and found an issue.

I replaced the little O-rings and the pin does not go through the outside O-ring. I purchased Right stuff pins CB6901 a long time ago and thought these were not the correct part.

I looked it up on Right stuff website: https://rpui.com/-Repair-Parts-1969-...in-Each-CB6901 and sure enough this part is only listed for GM-A body cars. And web page says it does not fit a 1969 Camaro.

So I pulled out one of my originals and though they are the same diameter, the length and thread area is a little different. Original is 4 1/8" long, while new pin is 4 3/8" long.

So then I looked at Heartbeat and their pin (rod) looks the same as the Right Stuff pin, but the description says it fits all GM single bore calipers including 69 Camaros: https://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/...Rod-Bolt-Each/

When I do a Google image search all the pins I see are this longer style and most say it fits all the GM models.

So will this longer pin work properly in 69 Camaros?

Or is there a more accurate pin that matches the 69 version?

And how free are the calipers supposed to slide on the pins? I think I need to grease them.

I have found only 3 original pins, so I have to dig more and see if I can find more and see if any are restorable. thx
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry slide pin comparison.jpg IMG_1825.jpg IMG_1824.jpg caliper done A.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...