Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 02-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Restoration of a Sun Tach

I thought I would post the comments of a converation I had a regarding a resto of an 802 Sun Tach with the folks at AutoInstrumenst down in VA (very nice people). I have been told that they do nice work, but they have some issues with Sun Tachs. It seems that they cannot duplicate the "crimping of the outside bezel" to the inside mechanism and that they basically have to pry it open to get the mechanism/face itself apart and putting it back together will leave a less than original fit and finish. Obviously, not the news I wanted to hear. I know it has been kicked around before ie; "Tachman" etc. But is there currently anybody out there who can correctly rebuild these Sun Tachs.? Thx
70 L78 Nova Fathom Blue,Bench, 4spd, F41, 3:55
71 Porsche 911 Targa
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 02-28-2010, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Restoration of a Sun Tach

I know Williams (sp?) used to restore them but also had several NOS ones- not cheap but original!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Has anyone seen these? They sure look like the old ones...I wonder how they perform and where they are made?

Kurt

http://www.sunpro.com/product_category.php?id=377

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 PM

That is really cool. I would say the best thing to do is contact them and ask to buy some of the chrome rings they use to build them with, or maybe Sunpro will re-assemble yours.

The donw side is you'll probably have to send your tach to China for that to be done.

What I do like is the fact that these tachs probably work well with modern MSD boxes and such. I have had to use the MSD tach adapter, hooked to the tach terminal on the last 6al I helped with.

The down side is that it doesn't seem to be equal in quality ot the older units. It bugs me how the needle floats where ever in Sunpro's sales literature and pics. I also think the red/orange redline pointer has a poor finish to it.

Here are a pair I could put my hands on quickly for this post. What do you guys think?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 PM

Those look like the one I had in my car...

I just put this one in. I'm not sure which one I like better but the 10k seems to be more responsive.

1969 SS396 Post Sedan Delivered to Van-T Topeka KS
MCACN Day2 Concourse Gold Award

1968 Schwinn Orange Krate Original Paint
1970 Schwinn 3-Speed Deluxe Original Paint
Old 03-01-2010, 04:11 AM

Is the tach you want restored in good mechanical condition and just faded? If so, I would say the best way to go would be to sell the one you have and find a nicer one. There are very nice unrestored units out there.

Jason
Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 AM

I was thinking along the same lines. The challenge is that these tachs were built in different ways.

I don't know if it was a year thing or what but I've seen the white rpm needle, a red needle, the more popular orange triangle redline pointer, a red redline needle, white RPM and red RPM font etc.

When you don't care it seems like they are all over the place. When you need a specific configuration and date then things get harder. And since he may have exactally what he needs, it makes sense to consider the resotration.

I'm excited to see what Sunpro is doing. Anyone know if they will be expanding the line to the other gauges? How about that WTS-500 sender?
Old 03-01-2010, 05:01 AM

I have not seen the new Sunpro gauges but they look the part.

I'm not sure what plowman means about MSD systems. I have had Sun Super Tachs hooked up to MSD "tach" outputs and HEI "tach" outputs many times with no issues.

Jim, PM me with what you are looking for. I may have something up you alley. I have a "few" SST-802s and SST 802-2s laying around. A few are ones I had restored years ago because they had broken lenses. Yes, the inner bezels were pryed off. Although it sounds bad, it really does not look bad. It will never be seen when the outer bezel is on and the tach is in the cup.

It seems like there has to be a simple way to get the bezel off. Something like a can opener type device.

Jason
Old 03-01-2010, 07:31 PM

Here is a 10k I've had sitting around for a long time. It is an SST-814 which is for a Mag setup.

Does anyone know the difference on the tach signal form a Mag vs regular points vs an MSD or an adapter? WAG here but I thought a tach for a mag might have some ectra circuit protection since the voltage for the output signal may increase more with RPM vs a regular SST-802.