Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old 06-18-2024, 11:13 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default 1969 Camaro Carpet to Rear Interior Side Panel Fitment

Hey everyone, I’m a bit lost on how these 2 pieces interact. I have the original carpet but was not the one who removed it to see how it was. I have the original interior side panel as well.

I’ve had a bunch of people tell me that it needs to be tucked and I’ve seen people say that the factory didn’t tuck it which a factory appearance is what I’m trying to do. If it has to be tucked what happens with the flap I’ve circled in red? Can’t be trimmed because my factory panel still has it complete. So it’s it tucked under and sort of pinched in this material?

Likewise if it isn’t tucked, how is it held/kept laid down against the panel?

Any help is appreciated
Attached Images

Attachments - The Supercar Registry ref pic feb06-23.JPG IMG_6239.jpeg IMG_6232.jpg IMG_6149.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old 06-18-2024, 12:57 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Install the interior qtr panel into place with the forward and lower flaps untucked. Once in proper place use some contact cement to glue the flaps to the interior metal (both forward and lower flaps, factory cemented loose vinyl in the rear too). Then you roll over the forward flap (includes the curved section on the bottom) over onto the painted surface of the door jamb without glue.

This way the qtr welting holds the unglued forward flap around the pinch welding. You will probably need to trim the unglued forward flap if it shows under the qtr welting.

Since the lower flap is glued to the metal floor, the carpet is laid on top and is closely trimmed to the interior panel (I put a little contact cement between the carpet and previous glued lower flap).

Then install the door sill on top of the carpet and on top of the lower edge of the qtr welting.

Then you are done with the side Note: if the installed qtr welting hits the door panel (and door and interior panel are fully aligned) the only way to fix is to trim the metal pinch weld back to give the qtr welting more room.

Here is a pic of my car (convertible) which uses a separate piece of vinyl for that area, but you can get the idea.
Attached Images

Last edited by KevinW; 06-18-2024 at 01:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KevinW For This Useful Post:
bbjohnny (06-19-2024), enio45 (06-19-2024)