Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Garages/shops..

Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 1,199 Times in 675 Posts

I took a week vacation this week to try to get the floor finished. I used Sikaflex 1A to fill the saw cuts in the floor. This is supposed to be chemical resistant and safe for gasoline and oil. I filled the cracks about 2 weeks ago. I spent a lot of time searching for a sealer that would be safe with gasoline and wouldn't chip or peel when using steel jack stands and steel wheels on a jack. I got a quote from Icon to seal the floor. The quote was for $18,000, which shocked me! I ended up buying ArmorPoxy Balistix SC sealer and I'm doing it myself. The kit from ArmorPoxy was $3000 and is safe with gasoline and brake cleaner. It also won't chip or peel. I started cleaning the floor Monday. Tuesday I rented a floor buffer and tried scuffing the concrete. That didn't work out too well, so Wednesday I used muriatic acid to etch the floor. I didn't get to work on it yesterday because it has to completely dry. Today I hope to get the primer on the floor and maybe tomorrow I can get the sealer on it. The floor has been a huge challenge, but I want to get it right. I was never happy with the floor in my old shop. I'm trying to get the floor done this week because I'm going to be down for about 2 months. I've got to get my left shoulder repaired and that's going to put a stop to all work until that is healed.

When the floor is finished I have to run the wires for the lights. I'm planning on using 8 foot LED lights. Once the wires are run I have to get the ceiling put up and install the lights. Then hopefully things will go a little quicker.
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

Thanked 3,289 Times in 1,509 Posts

Sorry to hear about the shoulder, hoping that all goes as planned and you recover well.
The distances involved with forums like these is sometime frustrating. It would be challenging to organize a weekend to have some members come over and help you get more done.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Thanked 1,199 Times in 675 Posts

I appreciate the the thoughts Mitch. I'll get it done sometime. It would be nice to get heat in it before winter so that I can work comfortably when the shoulder is healed, but I'll figure that out when the time comes.
I should have gone to work yesterday and today because the floor still isn't dry enough to start putting the primer on.