Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > AMC

Old Today, 10:04 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

This is pretty embarrassing, but I’m posting this for posterity in hopes that at some point I can post pictures of the same thing but better.
I need to work on my bodywork, sanding, and painting, and I want to learn line work and other stuff. So here’s my first attempt with a spare Rambler decklid I had laying around.
Today I used paint remover and removed this paint job, sanded the decklid with 80 grit because I found that the first sanding job I did wasn’t good enough, and now I’m hoping to prime and paint this decklid again after fixing a couple small pinholes in the corners.
Also today I removed the inner structure from it because I want to do a pin on hood and decklid and wanted to make sure there wasn’t anything special about removing it before I cut up the nice original lid on this car.
After sanding with 80 I hit it with 400 on the DA sander. For now I’m just using cans. Once I play with the line work enough I’ll move up to using a paint gun. Hopefully at some point I stop sucking so much at it.

I should be picking up the block, heads, and possibly the crank in the next couple weeks after the machine work is finished. I’ll post some pictures once I have those parts in my basement for assembly.
Attached Images

Old Today, 10:59 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Here’s the decklid at the end of the day. It’s pretty pitted once sanded down but for a practice piece will be just fine. Also included is a photo of the custom Crower blower cam spec card when it arrived at my door Friday. I need to call them tomorrow for a valve spring recommendation.
Attached Images