Go Back   The Supercar Registry > Classified Section > Ebay & other seen ads section

Please note

Old Today, 12:37 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,569 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuncio View Post
Were you happy with the sale price? Seems fair.
I agree Tony. Certainly, I'd love to have gotten more for the car. I'm not surprised with the result though. I figured the car would land between 70-75k.

The LT-1's are growing in popularity, but still have not quite hit their stride. I felt this car could be above it all, due to the colors and authenticity. As you could probably notice, I went out of my way to put the authenticity on full display.

In hindsight, I probably would have done better to keep the car for a couple of years and campaign it. That of course took the better part of 2 years and over 10k in hard expenses to complete on my 70. Given the uncertainty of what will occur in November, and how the market(s) will react......I felt it was smart to lighten up by 2-3 cars right now.

The win in the scenario, the buyer is a friend of mine. He's a judge for both Bloomington Gold and NCRS at a Regional and National level. He certainly understands the car. It sounds like he will pursue the same path I did with my green 70. I really feel the car has the same integrity to achieve the results. It will be enjoyable to watch.

The other upside to this whole scenario, is the additional people I have made the acquaintance of. For example, the underbidder on the auction, actually has a home about 5 miles north of my shop. They stopped in last week just out of curiosity, as they saw I had Corvette's around there. It was at that point, they saw the car and elected to sign up on BaT. I suspect I'll do business with them in the future. There are 2 other people who I spoke with as a result of the auction, and now have tasked me with finding them a car. Each of them wanted something a little different than the red 71, but now understand my tastes and how I call a car. Those 3 examples there are hard to monetize.

So the short answer after the long winded explanation......yeah, I'm happy with the result.

Tim
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
67since67 (Today), 69M22Z (Today), Crush (Today), olredalert (Today), scuncio (Today)
Old Today, 12:40 PM
SCR Sponsor

Thanked 3,569 Times in 991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by L_e_e View Post
Awesome honest car right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt9rsx33 View Post
Great car for sure! I too love Red/Red. I bet that car drives nice with the 3.55 gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPO View Post
Well done on the sale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69M22Z View Post
Good job Tim!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crush View Post
Tim is the Bat-Man!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimG View Post
What a great car.
Thanks guys. It's the people here that make the site what it is.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to napa68 For This Useful Post:
67since67 (Today), 69M22Z (Today)
Old Today, 04:11 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,268 Posts

Glad you are happy with the final result Tim.

For me, $66.5k is so cheap for an LT-1.

I know the mystique surrounds the 70 model (I can't help but say "... highest HP small block Chevy ever offered" when describing my car to someone who isn't an afficianado in the classic car world), but there is very little drop off performance wise with the 71; and you don't need to worry about using pump gas.

I still think the performance C3s are incredibly underpriced. A really nice restored 69 Lemans Blue Z/28 recently brought $157k on BAT. Nothing wrong with that. Hey, I own a 69 Z, so I am certainly not complaining about Z prices.

But I also own a 70 LT-1. Assuming you are just carrying yourself, or yourself and a passenger, for a joy ride, the LT-1 is twice the car. Better power. Better handling. Better brakes. It wins every category other than seat count.

I get the "pull on the heart strings" factor on the first gen Z. It is what I wanted so bad in high school. Vette's were off the table for most HS students, as they were essentially uninsurable. That "pull" has carried over for many enthusiasts for decades, and even been passed down to the next generation.

Having said all of that, the LB Z bringing nearly 2.5 times what this magnificent survivor brought just seem wrong. One commentor referred to your sale as "well sold". I have to disagree. It was well bought.

Kudos to you for having the stones to go no reserve. Nice to know there are still some gentlemen left in the hobby (and there are a lot of them, many of whom hang our here).
napa68 (Today)