Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Pit Area - Racing

Old 12-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Shaw's Speed Shop

Big thanks to you Dave for being so generous wiht your stash of cool stuff!
Old 12-11-2011, 06:19 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Shaw's Speed Shop

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Plowman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sammy, do your stickers look like
this?

</div></div>NOPE, but I will buy that one from you!
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM

Talking Worked at Shaw's Speed shop from 1969 to 1971

At that time Bruce Shaw and his better half, Barbra, were running the Willow Grove Store. At that time Shaw's Speed Shops second location was in north Philadelphia. A little bigger store than Willow grove. However, except for Creager Mag wheels, every other product was brought from the Willow Grove store the next day.

Also around 1971 Bruce and new member of Shaw's team at that time. I believe his name was Lou, and his assistant Raymond opened up Shaw's Machine Shop in Willow Grove as well. Located across the street from Willow Grove Park, near Luigi's Philly Steak sandwich place.

Also Shaw's Supplied other smaller speed shops in eastern Pennsylvania with there inventory. When I left Shaw's the business were booming and the future looked very very good for Shaw's speed Shops.

I left because I was offered an opportunity that I couldn't refuse. 12 months of free travel, food, and clothing in the great jungle paradise of Viet Nam.

I also remember Frank Bash. His Philadelphia store was open and doing well in 69-70. As his business expanded his personal hands on became less and less. However, Frank was always there to answer your call or show you how. If you asked.

I'll share an old example of the golden drag racing rule that used to fly around every so often. There's Cheaters and there's losers!!!
i ordered a car from Dodge in 1969 for a 1970 Dodge Swinger 340, 4 speed, 4.10 gears, copper color NO racing stripe on the rear. The good old days when you could buy want you wanted on your new car. NOT like today..........
With 31 Miles on the car, I pulled the motor, Installed a Crane solid camshaft and lifter kit, Crane needle bearing roller rockers ported and polished the heads. distributor mechanical advance It was Franks and Bruce's idea. Ran Strictly Stock at ATCO and Maple Grove. Never lost............................
As a matter of fact there wasn't a 396,383,400, 440 or 426 a few times, all stock, plus a little like headers or a Holly duel feed 780, that could beat me engines. The good old days when you wondered what's under his hood???

I never came back home after Viet Nam. Still into Hot Rods, but not my main attraction. Girls were my main interest at the time. Boy, that was one hell of a big MISTAKE.

What ever happen the Shaw's Speed Shop? I never knew, or heard?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Old Gearhead For This Useful Post:
69M22Z (Yesterday), Hawkeye (Yesterday), L_e_e (Yesterday), MarcDant (Yesterday), olredalert (Yesterday), PeteLeathersac (Yesterday), RobR (Yesterday)