Go Back   The Supercar Registry > General Discussion > Technical & Restoration

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default GM A body fuel line replacement?

Hi,
I recently bought a 1967 GTO convertible. In my haste to start working on it I ordered a new fuel tank and a new fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump.
I have now realized that its probably impossible to replace the fuel line while the body is on the frame? Inline Tube says its possible but very difficult.

So im wondering what options I have for a new fuel line? I see kits with steel lines and some bending and flaring tools but I have a feeling steel lines might be a little hard for an amateur like me? I have seen some kits with aluminum lines that are supposed to be easier but will require a different type of fitting.
What have you all done in the past? Removing the body or even lifting it is not an option.
Thank you
Attachments - The Supercar Registry DSCN6011.jpg DSCN5993.jpg
O Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...
Old Today, 12:55 AM
Yenko Premier Member

The hard part is the rear, there is a clamp up on top of the spring pocket
I’ve heard of guys jacking up the body at the rear to get over the spring pocket. It may be possible to get the rear over and bow the middle of the line and then poke the front thru while taking the bow out. Install the rubber fuel pump line and clamp first, leave that rubber line long and trim later.
Old Today, 01:41 AM

Thanked 4,320 Times in 1,023 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtomike1967 View Post
Hi,

Removing the body or even lifting it is not an option.
Thank you
Without lifting the body it's not going to happen. Consider cutting the old line as far back as you can get access, leave the rear piece in place and splice the new line to it.

When I faced this it lead to a full chassis restoration. (Not a bad option)
Old Today, 02:36 AM

Thanked 3,218 Times in 1,470 Posts

This is how I lifted the body on my Chevelle to install a 1 piece trunk floor, that I had been told wasn't possible with the body on the frame... I used 2 floor jacks with 12" long 2x2 boards under the rocker panels and removed all the body bolts but the front 2, yours will have 4 and I would only leave the 2 inside in but loosen them a couple turns. I had the body about 8" above the rear crossmember. In the second pic, you can see the fuel line on the right side, yours will be on the left, but same configuration.

Your new fuel line with come bent in half for shipping so you may be able to open it only enough to snake the rear, over the frame, section in place and then work the front in as you straighten the rest, like 67SS4speed suggested. The rear section does take a hard turn back toward the center of the car and you may need to straighten that some to get it over the frame and then re-shape it to point toward the sender.

If the body mounts are deteriorated, this is a good time to replace them too.
We have a lot of folks in the Chi-town area who may be willing to help with this, if you are in that area. Unfortunately, I am 8 hours away, or I would bring my jacks and help.
Attached Images

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles