View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 05:09 AM

Default Re: EPA Seeks to Prohibit Race Cars

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 70 copo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Performance for the Small Block Camaro had statistically matched the late 1960's stock acceleration performance levels by 1987 with the 350 TPI in conjunction with top speeds-- the old cars could simply never hope to match. The Ford Roller motors were great for the time as well.

Super fast on board computers in conjunction with the LS redesign in the late 90's changed the rules permanently as to performance and emissions. Not at all uncommon to see a modified LS in a 4th gen hitting a 9 in the quarter. This is a burr in the EPA's saddle for sure. </div></div>

Agree completely. After the Dark Ages between 75-82, by 1987-90 we had largely gained back most of the performance lost after 71 (or 74. Looking at you, 455 SD Pontiac). People don't realize how many cubic inches EFI and an aggressive roller cam can add to a little motor.

To be clear, I was referring to a 69 COPO Camaro in my previous post. It's absolutely true that we've come miles in terms of technology over the past 50 years, but we came miles between 1945 and 1971, as well. There is no comparison between a flathead 6 and an LS-6 454; the latter is, technologically speaking, so far advanced from the former that there is no effective basis for comparison. So have we gotten where we are because of the EPA, or in spite of them? There's an argument to be made either way, but I know which side I'm on.