View Single Post
Old 08-23-2023, 08:24 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,990 Times in 1,396 Posts

Well, it turns out I was too optimistic to believe this was really going to be "this easy". Got a letter back from the state that they won't transfer the vins. Called today and they claim I don't have any proof of ownership of the car with the real vin and state law won't allow them to correct this. I argued for 30 minutes that the "vin" on the title now isn't even a federally recognized vin at all and I'm not asking them to swap vin's, just remove the incorrect number sequence with the correct and real vin for the car. NOPE, the state recognizes the one on the title as the valid vin and won't swap. How friggen stupid is this ???? The state recognizes a bunch of letters and numbers that have NONE of the federally required information for a valid vin ??????? I'm so fricken PO'D right now, I could scream. The only way they will change the vin is by me applying for a new title, getting a bond and, get this, paying the sales tax and fees to "buy" the car !!!!!! I have a copy of the original transfer to me with ALL those costs already paid.

Anyone know where I can find the federal requirements for a valid motor vehicle vin ? I need to print that out and take it back to the dmv and prove they are wrong and may actually be violating federal law themselves by allowing the rpo codes to be used as a vin.
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles