View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 02:41 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

The next step was trying to work the corner of the taillight panel and quarter back to get alignment of the taillamp housing and fix the arc of the rear quarter edge.
This was harder than you'd think as the Nova quarter panel shape is a compound angle as it curves out at the middle in the vertical position but also curves inward at the reads edge of the quarter as well .
I bought a profile gauge, and using the drivers side as a template and a hammer and multiple sized dolly's , I was able to work the metal back to shape.
At one point while working the rear taillight panel something hit the floor.
It ended up being a piece of Bondo that was shaped in a right angle to make the RR lower outer corner of the taillamp panel. This piece was about 1-1/2 thick in some places...
I then had to hammer the edge of the quarter rearwards and it wanted to split, from being thin, so I had to hammer, and weld and grind, then hammer and weld an grind. You get the picture ..

All told , I spent probably spent close to 25 hours fixing a 14" x 14" area .
In retrospect , I could have found a patch panel for the quarter considering the time taken to fix all this . But it is still all original metal still for whatever that is worth and there was zero tin canning and it felt as solid as the drivers side was .
And my stubbornness may have played a small role into the decision to forge on as well , ha ha ..
Attached Images