View Single Post
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sounds like a great project!
To the best of my knowledge, the Chevrolet Firenza Canam used a 302ci SBC built using the same basic specs and rotating assembly as the 302 in the Z/28. This was to meet the homologation limits of 5.0L, just like the SCCA requirements that led to the Camaro Z/28 development. GM sent the parts over to the assembly plant in South Africa and the engines were built there.
I recall seeing the only Firenza Canam imported into the UK many years ago, was quite the attraction because it looked much the same as the regular domestic version that had small 4-cylinder engines. In fact, although badged a Chevrolet, it really was the British car assembled locally; GM SA did the same badging exercise with our Holden Monaro coupe, which was marketed in SA as the Chevrolet SS.
Apparently only 100 such Canam cars were made to meet certification requirements. However I can't recall if the engine was dressed similarly to a Camaro 302 (brackets and ancillaries) but did find this picture showing the engine bay; looks like the alternator was relocated to fit the available room, so bracketry was probably unique.
Note that pictured engine bay may not be stock though, as many of these cars were highly modified for competition use.
Attached Images

Ran at Lions Dragstrip and Pomona Raceway, with paint by Bob Kovacs of Fresno.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZLP955 For This Useful Post:
z28s4mjg (05-23-2020)