View Single Post
Old 01-04-2018, 01:05 AM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

I beat on the LU-5 pretty hard in Echoes. With this engine in the Camaro and the Corvette GM left it all on the table. So much wasted potential with the injection set up coming out ahead of gasoline formulated for fuel injection.

The Starting point for the LU-5 was the original 1969 302 over the counter Cross-Ram intake manifold.

The re design of the top part of the intake to accommodate the twin TBI units doomed the idea from the start with smaller runners and a reverse fuel spray pattern (Cross-Fire) that shot the fuel into the opposite side of the manifold creating a unique kind of fuel air imbalance that had the upside of a very muscular exhaust note at idle.

I have owned a LU-5 Pace car for the better part of 30 years now-saddled with 2.73-1 rear gears (as most are) it is strictly a cruiser. I have to admit it is a unique piece of Chevy history now, and while not fast in bone stock -- they can be made quite responsive with tuning and tinkering and hi 14's are achievable with this engine in a stock looking configuration.

Winters did this manifold for GM.
Attached Images