View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:16 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,393 Posts

First time I've seen this thread and it is very interesting. The undercoating you referred to earlier appears very similar to what is on my '67 LOS car. The extension panel having some rust is to be expected, but what really caught my eye was all the "extra" holes in it and the right quarter panel flange. Wondering what that is for. My extension panel across the bottom was mostly non-existent, so I have no idea if it had those too. My original quarter panels don't have the extra holes. I like seeing the gobbed up braze in the corners too. I'm trying to replicate that, but it is a smoother application. My bodyman just laughs at me and said I should plug all those joint gaps with seam sealer and move on, but he was production for 50 years and doesn't understand how to slow down and preserve/replicate original detail.

The dent in the roof MAY have been done at the factory and repaired there. I worked at a Ford factory in St Paul for the 1972 model year and it was amazing the freak accidents that happened and were butchery "fixed", painted and sent to the dealer. If only they could talk. As I remove 4 layers of paint and gallons of high build primer from mine, it appears it was used in a demo derby in a past life... Yours is pristine in comparison, congrats...
1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles