View Single Post
Old 06-11-2022, 12:51 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut4life View Post
This is a cool thread from an emotional standpoint so thanks for posting Julio. My Dad went to tech school in KC right after he graduated HS in 1962 and the majority of the tools in my garage were purchased by him in the mid 60's through the early 80's and are still being used by the boy and I to this day. In the photo below is the creeper and acetylene torch he bought before I was born in 1972. As a kid I swore he could fix anything with that torch and a coat hanger! Over the years I've probably spent twice as much time on that old creeper than he ever did but he got twice as much work done on it than I ever have since he had the skill to fix anything by just looking at it long enough. The hydraulic jack and tool box were bought after we built the garage when I was a kid and several of the tools in the box have his name or initials engraved on them which is pretty cool. Dad died in a car wreck in 1992 at 47 when I was 20 and I've held onto as many things of his as possible over the years to pass on to my kids since they never had the opportunity to know him.
Thanks for posting, they don’t make jacks like that anymore! Regarding your dads mechanical skill, I feel the same as my dad was also really good at diagnosing and quickly repairing to a high standard. He was really lucky as a kid to attend Aero-Mechanics school which was based at Detroit City Airport and was part of the Detroit Public Schools. He learned much of his mechanical skills there along with welding and also earned his pilot license at age 18. One of his teachers gave kids flying lessons after class in one of the planes owned by the school.

Last edited by juliosz; 06-11-2022 at 12:55 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juliosz For This Useful Post:
carnut4life (06-11-2022), Oldss (06-13-2022), PeteLeathersac (06-11-2022), scuncio (06-14-2022)