View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Central Office Production Order. It doesn't have to be "large". Not sure how you made that jump.
I jumped to the assumption that COPO meant large volume because it is my understanding that a GM dealer wasn't able to put in an order for a 427 Camaro or Chevelle due to the ban on anything larger than 400 in a Camaro or Chevelle. The way around the issue, allegedly, was to order enough vehicles in order to qualify the order as a "fleet" purchase and apparently "fleet" purchases could be ordered with any engine available. The "order enough" vehicles is why I assumed a volume buy was required. That is also why I understand that a few dealers got together and ordered as a group, so they could order the required number.

Believe me, I am not claiming I know what I am talking about

The COPO fleet order makes those cars special (in my mind) simply because not every dealer could or would want to place a large order. That being said, the apparent fact (or possibility) that a certain trans or rear gear may have required a COPO order isn't special in my eyes if any dealer could have placed that order.

Ticking a box on a different order form (the COPO form) in order to get 4.88 gears, something that (it sounds like) any dealer could have done just isn't the same (again, to me) as a dealer or a couple of dealers getting together to pull the wool over GM's eyes, go against company policy, and order something GM said it won't allow.

COPO ordered 4.88's isn't special if that was simply the process needed in order to get that ratio. The gear ratio itself may be worth talking about if it is one of three (or whatever) to get the ratio but that it had to be ordered through COPO ... meh ... not seeing it as special

Please keep in mind, this is just my opinion and I have already admitted to not knowing what I am talking about

Last edited by useless tony; 04-14-2022 at 09:58 PM.