Thread: Danger Ahead
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2022, 03:04 PM

What I find funny is they are only talking about 15% ethanol from what I read in the first couple paragraphs.

The funny part is the 10% we are supposed to have now I've tested with those cheap internet kits to be as high as 17% anyway at some stations. And that was 20+ years ago. It was never regulated that closely then and I doubt it has been since.

So in all honesty you never really know what you're getting at the 10% ethanol pumps. From my experience it seems to fluctuate. I've never seen it below 10% but as high as 17%

So maybe 15% will mean we may actually see 22% at times?? Eh

I've been running the 10% ethanol for decades as it got harder to find stations with real gas. Since we daily drive classics the solution was to jet up the carbs a pinch since 10% ethanol stoich is 14:1, not the typical 14.7:1. That also means I have to go in and modify the idle circuitry by opening the idle feed restrictors a couple thou so the engines are happier, especially at colder temps. This has returned excellent drivability.

The other thing I've done for decades is mix a pinch of 2 cycle engine oil in the gas. I use an ounce per 5 gallons of fuel. This gives the fuel some lubricity and lubricates the upper engine, valve seats, rings, etc... Since fuel doesn't have lead anymore. I have a very good feeling this helps fight corrosion as well in the fuel system that is so common with ethanol based fuels.

I've been doing this for decades and I haven't had a single fuel related failure, even on the daily drivers. My bird is still running a 23 year old mechanical fuel pump, the Z has been going strong for 6 years now and over 50,000 miles. Between the 2 of them we have logged well over 100,000 miles in the last few years.. Some of my other classics sit a lot, and haven't shown any signs of a problem either.

I haven't worried about it with the small engine lawn equipment stuff and don't do anything special there. No complaints.

Last edited by x33rs; 04-12-2022 at 03:07 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to x33rs For This Useful Post:
cruiserofland (04-12-2022), dustinm (04-12-2022), firstgenaddict (04-12-2022), markinnaples (04-12-2022)