Thread: Brooklyn Heavy
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 07:14 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Brooklyn Heavy

Rufus Boyd alias Brooklyn Heavy was-is a famous street racer and drag racer. His first legal race car was a 66 or 67 chevelle. I saw him run many times at Cecil County and Englishtown. The 1968 camaro he owned did belong to The Grump. that is why it ran so good. He had many race cars and sponsored a few of his friends. Probably the most popular racer he sponsored was Carmen Rotonda. I don't know if he owned the Vega Pro Stocker or if Heavy did, but they ran it together. After that I think Boyd bought a Hemi Cuda or Challenger with Sox and Martin power. I even think Herb McCandless drove a super stock Hemi for Heavy. He actually was a nice person to talk to in the pits. Him and his people loved to bet on race cars, especially at Englishtown. These guys were fun to watch. I think Heavy went to jail for a while, and Rotonda moved to Florida. That was a good drag racing era. His cars were painted orange and I think the chevelle was called Heavy's Super Pumpkin. I probably have some pictures in my old Dragster papers with him in them. His cars ran good because he always had a lot of money! Sam
The Following User Says Thank You to Salvatore For This Useful Post:
67 Nova Boy (08-12-2023)