View Single Post
Old 09-02-2021, 11:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I like em. Just out of curiosity, what does it cost to have a pair properly restored?
The restoration cost depends how they are done. The center section (spokes) is aluminum and the hoop is steel, so to do them correctly (in my opinion), requires cutting the welds and restoring the the two parts individually and then welding them back together. This is not only time consuming and costly, but an inexperienced welder can ruin the chrome when reassembling. Not every chrome shop (what’s left of them) will do Cragars because of this and some shops will only do them as one unit (and not cut apart and reweld). Restoring them in one piece will eventually cause them to peel at the joint (ring) where the two halves meet.
The last pair of 4” I had done (3 years ago) were about $700 to restore plus shipping both ways to California, and that didn’t include the initial cost of the core wheels. The chrome shop I use gets $65.00 just to do a single center cap and then the blue paint needs to be done. Now you know why I search for, and sell only NOS or high quality used Cragars. Hope this info helps.