View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 04:07 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by x33rs View Post
It's why I've built all my engines to run fine on the pump gas we have available.
Did that decades ago. Didn't even have to neuter the engine to do it. My wife daily drives our 69Z as a result, still with 11:1 compression. No need for modern engine swaps.
Understood. Hardened Valve seats etc... but it is not just that, it is how does the EPA know your engine has been fixed/compliant?, these are the questions. As for aviation there is Lots of 70+ year old airplanes (and engines) out there flying around.

New certificated engines are crazy expensive as it is.

Most civilian planes will be able to use the new 100 octane Unleaded fuel, but the real high performance racers, acrobatic flyers and still flying WWII aircraft won't be able to fly as there isn't a 112 octane replacement fuel available for their high compression engines. For 30+ years the oil companies have tried to find something even 1/4 as efficient as tetra ethyl lead is at raising the octane rating of gasoline, and failed. 100 octane level can be reached mostly by ultra refining of gasoline, but going higher is going to take something as effective as tetra ethyl lead or switching to something other than gasoline. Methanol has the necessary high octane rating, but not the proper vapor pressure to work as an aircraft fuel.

IMO...We need to get in on the regulatory comment period to insure proper carve outs are permitted for the older hi compression engines to allow for authentic operation.