View Single Post
Old 03-27-2018, 08:13 PM

shot peening and shot blasting are 2 diff procedures..

shot peening changes the surface and adds strength and promotes stress relieving..they shot peen Z28 rods for strength and stress relief..makes the rods perform better..you can actually see what shot peening does on a pink rod..its dramatic

shot blasting removes debris and surface scale....it doesnt change it deeply on a molecular level like shot peen..

shot peen gets a a specific media and air pressure changes the characteristics of how the "grain" aligns in the structure..its actually calibrated, by shooting beads at a metal gauge, and the distortion is measured and that determines what it does..it really changes the surface look and texture....the ole.."lemme roll it around in the shot peen thing" does not work as intended..theres science to it..metallurgy

thermal cleaning goes a long long way to restore the surface to original...the beads are pretty soft...it breaks the bond scale has to the metal..it also boils all the grease out of the pores..so its nice and clean and can oxidize immediately

the ampro machine does not peen it, if thats what you are afraid of...its the best system ive ever seen or used..i recommend it...i would think youd notice a 50-75% improvement over whats there right now..i use it on pulleys and things like that, it doesnt distort or change the machine marks, etc..i really like it for resto stuff...BUT..ive never had a Yenko block either..i understand the worry..ive seen it bring broach marks up better...with out it changing the readability..if that makes sense

find the worst block you have..send it thru..judge yourself..thats exactly what i would do...