View Single Post
Old 03-01-2006, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Real Estate Investing?

First off, You should have bought a bunch of it about 25 years ago....

LoL....

Seriously there is a lot of pitfalls in investing that way. It is best if you are in a cash situation where you can own it with out debt.

Some of the best places to pick up good deals on property is at your local courthouse on tax sale properties. Be carefull or you can still get a so-so deal on one there. Do a great deal of research and study before you jump into this form of investing. If you are one that doesn't want to get your hands dirty then you might want to consider the stock market instead.

Real-estate residental investing can be a lot of work. I grew up in it and man if you could see some of the mess's that I have had to clean up and haul off it would make you sick. It offers great tax advantages and the income when they pay is great. When times get tough it is tough on you too. For the last 8 to 10 yrs. with the low interest rates most of the better renters were able to buy instead of renting. That has left me with a lot of vacant houses. By the time you get them out and clean up the mess it has cost you 2 mo rent and then you loose another (snd sometimes more than that) just getting it rented once again. Most just want it for 6 mo till they can find a place to buy of their own with the cheap interest rates lately.

I would recommend looking at commerical property instead of residental homes. The purchace price is much higher, but it is a lot less of a hassle and they tend to stay longer. I have one commerical property and they have been there since 1990. I originally rented it back in 1972 for a few years until I could get a bank to finance it for me. Best thing next to my Motion Cars that I ever invested in. Of course when the interest rates went up to 21% on me back in the early 80's it about broke me. But since I shut the used car lot down and rented it, they have made every payment for me and now it is paid off and all mine. This is big part of my retirement plan.

I am sure there are many on here that will have advice also. but I thing all will agree with me that the old addage of

Location, Location, Location, is still the most important thing to consider when investing in real-estate.

Good luck..

Pantera
73 Pantera
69 Vette B/P SCCA