View Single Post
Old 01-14-2024, 11:35 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,494 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimsls6
If memory serves me body was painted on the Fisher side and front end in the body shop side, then they were assembled later. Any help or direction would be appreciated. I thought I bookmarked this but I cannot find it. I've owned my car now for 39 years this year. The front clip is a little darker then the body, I cannot find any evidence of a complete repaint or sheet metal replaced on the dog house. all hardware is original and not mismatched with all the correct markings. By looking at the car I can see red oxide primer in the door jamb on the body, front end looks like it was painted over the black e-coat, which could explain the darker color.
That's the way the regular production vehicles were painted, too.

Often the body was painted at one end of the plant and the front end sheetmetal painted at the other end of the plant (or, in the case of Buicks, at the other end of town!).

My '80 Chevy (which I ordered and followed down the line as it was built) was built in Flint and the front end never did match the rest of the truck.

K
Attached Images

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 01-14-2024 at 11:44 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
dykstra (01-15-2024), Oldss (01-15-2024), olredalert (01-15-2024), Thomas (01-15-2024), Xplantdad (01-15-2024)