View Single Post
Old 04-07-2022, 10:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,786 Times in 1,605 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
Reminds me of the old Cape Cod Route 6 from Dennis to Orleans. It was known as "Suicide Alley". It was three lanes with a center suicide lane for both to use for passing. Uncountable number of fatal accidents over the decades until they repaved it as a NO PASSING single lane in both directions, in the late 1980's. Absolutely insane idea as originally designed.

I remember being on a family vacation in Orleans, MA, in the 70's as a kid and seeing a horrendous multi-fatal accident scene involving a station wagon and some unknown other car so destroyed you couldn't tell what it was. Both cars wound up in the treeline. We stopped because my dad was an ER Surgeon at the time and wound up directing the medics on who to take first and who could...wait. I remember him ORDERING us to all stay in the car just down the street.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._R..._Massachusetts
----Steve,,, I think you are referring to 6A as that is what you are describing. RT. 6 is a divided 4 lane highway that runs from the bridge all the way to P-town. 6A does something similar but runs along the north coast of the Cape and is two lane all the way. Way more of a fright show, considering all the retired's and people coming home from the numerous bars along there......Bill S