View Single Post
Old 02-29-2024, 08:09 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,963 Times in 1,390 Posts

Removed the top dash panel. I don't like using spot weld drills when I want to save/use the panel below what I am removing. My preferred method is a grinding wheel. I grind around the perimeter of the spot and try to not cut into the substrate at all, or very little.

I use the grinder about the same way I mig weld, using short bursts and checking the color of the metal to "see" where the spot is and work around it until the metal is very thin and I can pop it off with a screw driver.

There were about 16 spot welds and it took about 15 minutes to remove them all. Less time than using a drill and stopping to observe that progress to prevent drilling thru the substrate panel.

This is what I use... That wheel was used when I started and shows almost no wear after all that

After this, I used a 2" disc sander with 120 and cleaned up the spots, removing any of the top panel that was left behind.

It does make a MUCH bigger mess than drilling. I use a shop vac with a HEPA bag filter inside. I can vacuum filler dust and dried overspray and it never comes out the exhaust.

It does fit and line up nicely, but It would be even better if the pre-punched holes for the trim clips and glass stops lined up with the holes in the cowl panel. It may well be the cowl that is off, as 3 of the 4 holes for the cowl grill aren't accurate either. Just a little more work later to drill the holes in the correct places.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (03-01-2024), big gear head (03-01-2024), dustinm (02-29-2024), dykstra (02-29-2024), olredalert (03-01-2024)