View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 04:09 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,708 Times in 723 Posts

Intricate, yes, with no less than 12 major components.

Left side.

The “Trigger” of the system.

The center carburetor “vacuum switch” has a slide mechanism built in that allows vacuum to enter a steel line that goes up and over the carbs to activate the two end Rochesters.

The flat lever on the side of carb has three arms, two of which open and close the vacuum source.
Once you put your foot into it an arm moves the slide switch and allows vacuum to open the end carbs. This is when the Howling starts.
This is shown on a spare carb.

So, once you take your foot off the loud pedal there is still a residual vacuum in the lines holding those end carbs wide open, hence “Suicide Linkage” !!!

You are freaking out at this point thinking something is stuck and your going to die. Just at that moment, the vacuum releases the carbs and your safe.

My first time in that situation I sh*t. Now I know how to feather that vacuum switch just right.

I’ve heard stories of customers with these vacuum cars back in the late 60’s being scared and demanding the dealer do something about it.
Bring her in mam and we will throw the vacuum stuff in the garbage and installed this user friendly mechanical linkage.

This adjustable trigger switch is made by Trico.

Shortly after I bought this car in 1991 I was able to locate the Original Owner, John Kennedy in San Jose, Ca. and quizzed him on his experience with this car.
He loved it, but his wife would not drive it. I understand.
Attached Images

Last edited by 60sStuff; 03-26-2021 at 04:14 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 60sStuff For This Useful Post:
grantprix (03-27-2021), markinnaples (03-20-2024), mr.4speed (03-26-2021), olredalert (03-26-2021), Tenney (03-26-2021)