View Single Post
Old 04-27-2022, 03:56 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzl78 View Post
30 8 hour days on the floor?
I am sure a pro could have done it more quickly. More like 100 2.5 hour days. Although some weekends I may have spent an 8 or 10 hour day on it. I had just read Ron Fornier's book on sheet metal work. Can't remember the title. I was determined that there would be no visible welds, seams or hammer marks and no bondo.

The tunnel had been butchered by a previous owner to install a ram rod shifter. There were some rust spots I had to cut out and replace. I made the patch panels from scratch, and was determined that there would be no welds or hammer marks showing and no bondo.

There was some carnage to the tunnel just above the axle where it looked like a floor jack slipped while the drive shaft was out. Had to heat and shrink it with hammer and dolly. That meant I needed an assistant on the other side holding a dolly. People that look at it on a lift don't believe I did any patch work. And I did achieve my goal: there is no bondo and no sign of any work. Although, I admit, that if one were to pull the carpet and the underlayment, they would find a few of the welding seams visible from the top. I had to cut the passenger side seat mounting pad off to correctly work the metal under it, then weld it back on. I also went to great lengths to replicate the color, which was NOT uniform. Very dark gray toward the front of the car, and pretty light gray toward the rear.

Like I said, I didn't track my time. Probably would have been too depressing.

You can see some of the floor pics in post one here: https://www.yenko.net/forum/showthre...d+pics+project

Sorry for the hijack, but the question was asked.