View Single Post
Old 12-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Thanked 3,399 Times in 1,242 Posts

Between working on underside of the car, I've been busy cleaning other parts including the smog components. I sent the pump off to Bill hodel where he took it apart to remove the veins from the pump so it's functional looking but doesn't pump air any longer. The tubes will be blocked off so everything looks right when I reassemble it, but also won't be popping or backfiring either. The internal parts have been kept so it can be returned to functional service if needed. The pump has been mildly cleaned and detailed to match up with the cars motor having been rebuilt and painted, as have most of the other parts. In cleaning the hoses and check valves it's easy to see everything is original, but is all over the place with dating.

The 7801149 Smog Pump is dated 293rd day of 69 while it was equipped with an early style 29295 Diverter Valve. Both appeared to have always been together and had very similar aging where where nothing looked to have been changed at any point? In addition, the bolts all looked to have never been apart nor did the original gaskets when I separated them for cleaning. Bill Hodel and I discussed the hoses as well since they are dated quite early. Again, they don't appear to have ever been apart and also have mixed clamps with most being 3/69 dated and only one having an earlier 1/69 date.

As I have now learned with a late built car, one can expect the unexpected so I am not going to start switching things around as the parts all appear to have been married to each other for quite some time and I am told that all sorts of oddities exist with late cars where they scrambled to find parts to complete the assemblies. In discussing the hoses further, Bill had said these early hoses and quite rare and very hard to find. The hoses are are 3932476 marked RC GM with a dotted Box and the short hose is 3932478. They have correct 5361992 check valves, and I have all the correct brackets and original RBS marked for the system. Still working on the original smog rails to clean them up to where I am happy with them. More on those at a later date.