View Single Post
Old 08-07-2022, 02:34 PM

Thanked 1,231 Times in 576 Posts

A major European bank executive has gone public with an idea (another trial balloon) to establish Carbon Wallets that allocate “emission rights” to citizens.

She said the system would allow wealthy people to buy carbon emission rights from those who can't afford to fly.

Summary--This looks like Cap and Trade pushed to the level of the individual. The video is in Dutch so what follows is direct from the source with a non-partisan printed translation
of what she is saying to the radio audience.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A senior executive at the multinational banking and financial services company Rabobank has called for personalized carbon wallets that give individual citizens “emission rights” and allow wealthier citizens to buy emission rights from those who can’t afford to fly.

Barbara Baarsma, who is the CEO of Rabo Carbon Bank, a division of Rabobank that allows its customers to buy and sell CO2 credits, announced her proposal for personalized carbon wallets during an appearance on the Dutch radio station BNR Newsradio.

“What if we now have all the remaining rights we still have when it comes to the emission of CO2 equivalents, greenhouse gases?” Baarsma said. “If we just let everyone start the Netherlands distributing emission rights and that every household or every citizen and amount get emission rights until we have money.”

Baarsma continued by proposing that these emission rights could be managed via a personalized “carbon wallet” and noted that wealthier citizens who want to fly can buy emissions rights from citizens that don’t have the money to fly.

She added that these personalized carbon wallets represented an opportunity for those who can’t afford to fly to get “a little more money” and outlined other ways wealthier people could continue living elaborate lifestyles by buying carbon credits from citizens with less money.

“He lives in smaller rented houses and I live in a large house so I need more emission rights to heat my house and so people with a narrow wallet can also earn something from greening my number,” Baarsma said.

After the interview, Rabobank came out in support of Baarsma’s statements about personalized carbon wallets

Last edited by 70 copo; 08-07-2022 at 02:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 70 copo For This Useful Post:
markinnaples (08-08-2022)