View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird812 View Post
Thanks for your photo Augy - that clears things up - tuff looking ‘68!
No problem.....just wish it was a better photo. Come to think of it, those cheaters were purchased early in 1967. Bought them for a '57 Chevy 150 2-door sedan that I raced during '67, then used the same tires and black steel wheels on that '68 Malibu the following year for trips to the drag strip.

A little off-topic, but I hope you guys don't mind a true story about cheater slicks and ice. Spring of 1968: a buddy also had a beautiful '57 Chevy, and he put his cheaters on, just for looks, one weekend when the snow was melting around here. He just couldn't wait. 6 am on the following Monday morning. 5 of us in his car on our way to work (we carpooled), we hit a patch of ice at about 50 mph and rolled the car 1.5 times. Car ended up upside down in the ditch. No seatbelts of course. 5 bodies and 5 lunch buckets flying around inside the car during the rollover. We crawled out through the back window which had popped out in one piece. None of us were seriously hurt, but the car was totalled. That was a very sad day and a hard lesson learned.

Funny (kind of) ending to the story. About 6 years later, 1974, I had just gotten married, and the new wife and I rented a house on the very same farm in front of which we had rolled that '57 Chevy. I told her the story and one day we walked the ditch where the car rolled. We found a Steppenwolf 8 track tape that flew out of the car 6 years earlier. I gave it back to my buddy and to this day it's the only thing he still has from that car.

BTW, I LOVE the Day 2 look of your '69! Think I'll do that with my '68 just for the memories! As you mentioned, it's all bolt-on and can be changed back to stock at any time.....

Last edited by augy; 03-12-2018 at 12:52 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augy For This Useful Post:
mockingbird812 (03-12-2018), NorCam (03-12-2018)