View Single Post
Old 10-23-2020, 07:05 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss427copo View Post
Anyone with tips on using this?

Got a "tick" and have done all the process of eliminations without opening up anything, thus far. 427, roller cam, rockers and solid lifters. Valve adjustment dead on, rockers and springs newer. Noise came out of nowhere and can't pin-point. (Carbon on piston??)

Saw an seasoned mechanic, years ago listen to a tap, take a 1x1x12" piece of wood and a sledge hammer and wack the valve stem and the noise went away. Still amazed at his "knowledge"

Thinking of T.E.C. use? One guy told me use some water down the carb?

Any input appreciated.
I have used GM Engine Top Engine Cleaner. Follow the directions GM calls for to use this cleaner. Its good, use it and find a back road to run your car, step on the gas hard and run it up there. The engine will smoke like crazy until its all cleaned out. Very strong cleaner and used at GM dealerships back in the days. Another thing to try is Rislone Engine Oil Treatment. Dump a bottle in the engine while idling and then sit inside your car and raise the engine RPM'S a good 3-4000 RPMs for a good minute. Get out of car with engine running at idle and listen and see if the ticking is gone. If so drain oil and change filter. You might of had a piece of carbon in lifter causing the ticking. I been told by a old time mechanic they used transmission fluid to stop a tick too. Good rust -varnish cleaner. Good luck hope you can find and fix the problem without opening up the engine. Valve guides worn? This causes ticks too.

Last edited by RALLY; 10-23-2020 at 08:01 PM.