View Single Post
Old 02-04-2024, 08:30 PM

Default Help me with camshaft selection-please

As I posted on here, I have a 1969 corvette L89 project car.
The aluminum heads are done, and the block is at the machine shop.
The block has been decked, and rather than running the 11:1 compression pistons I’m going to go with 10.5:1
I’m struggling with my camshaft selection.
I’d love to run a solid lifter but just not interested in going backwards if it fails. I’ve had several friends have this happen to them upon startup and I’ve read about it on this forum and others.

So the plan is to run a hydraulic roller and get it as close to stock specs as possible.
The problem is I don’t really know what I’m doing ha ha
I think* I’ve got it narrowed down to three choices after talking to the fellow at Howard’s Cams.
In my other 1969 L71 corvette, I’m running a Howard’s roller and I love the way it sounds I’ve yet to drive it, but it sure sounds good.
So that exact cam is in the running.

Even though I don’t know too much and this is my first engine build, I realize that what vacuum the cam produces is an important factor. Not only for the vacuum operated headlights and wiper door, but for the distributor vacuum advance.
I’m running the original TI system that has been rebuilt to factory specs/advance by Dave Fiedler the TI “expert”.
Muncie M21 with 3:70 rear end gears.

I’ll post up the factory GM cam specs ( Cam p/n 3863143) and then the 3 Howard’s roller cams I’m considering..
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images

Last edited by Tuna Joe; 02-04-2024 at 08:32 PM.
Attachments - The Supercar Registry IMG_1463.jpg IMG_1462.jpg IMG_1461.jpg IMG_1460.jpg
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...