View Single Post
Old 03-15-2018, 02:22 PM

Default Alternator location on early 69 L78

Hi, My 69 Nova SS L78 396 was built Nov 1968. As I am completing my restoration, I noticed that my alternator pulleys and brackets have been altered or changed. Since this was torn apart 30 years ago, I am not sure what I have or need. The engine had the short water pump on it (it had been replaced -part# and date to 73 vette 454). The Alternator appears to be original and has lower bracket that looks like it bolts to the drivers side manifold. Top bracket is total wrong and looks like something from totally different car. Also, the wiring harness for alternator is coming from Driver side.

From all the pictures I have seen of 69 Nova 396's, the alternators and wiring should be on pass side.1968 pictures show driver side.

I am confused. My car is 4 speed, manual steering, L78 396, and the exhaust manifolds have plugs in them like it originally had air pump. Could early built 69s have still used the 1968 driver alternator side setup?

If so, does anyone know what the part numbers should be for waterpump, pulleys, brackets?
Click here to view all the pictures posted in this thread...