View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 01:14 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Sorry, apparently I got off on the wrong foot (or forum!). I was a kid when these cars were new, I remember lots of slightly older friends and siblings doing whatever they could to "soup up" their cars. Aftermarket intakes, cams, headers, exhaust systems, wheels, etc. My goal is not a restomod, I've got several LT1 direct injected motors, 8 speed automatics, Tremec 6 speeds, etc that would be a cinch for me to install/tune. I'm not headed down that path. FWIW, 077 aluminum heads were offered in early 70's directly from GM as a service replacement for l88 heads. They've got a Winters snowflake, just somewhat different from the 074's they replaced. I'm not interested in a judged day 2 showcar, simply something that looks close to original with some nice updates/upgrades. Btw, Chicago may get hot, well try a high of 115 since I've lived here with humidity nearly triple digits. 60-80 days annually with 100 plus temps. I'm simply wanting input from anyone who's been down the road with an electric compressor. As far as a convertible with a rollcage, my goal is to have an L78 car that does not appear to have a/c. I don't want a compressor hung onto an L78 engine, nor do I want visible hoses, etc when the hood is opened. A trunk mounted compressor would solve that issue for me. It will simply take an alternator with enough output to run it, while trying to maintain a non a/c underhood look. While not ideal, I could even set the condenser behind the radiator, hidden by the fan shroud.