View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 04:26 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,476 Times in 1,242 Posts

I know in talking to Steve Pasteiner that they were not able to call their C5 conversions a "Corvette", due to licensing concerns with GM. However, if an individual were to purchase their car and then add the nameplates themselves that is a different story.

Similarly I was just asked the other day about reproducing emblems; that situation sounds similar to what you have mentioned here, in that the manufacturer is asking for documentation/permissions before they will produce the part.

Bottom line: I don't know anything about this from an authoritative standpoint, but my observations as a long time hobbyist:

a) Creating a clone or tribute of a GTO/SS is really no different than what has been going on for years and years. People buy the already made emblems or stickers and stick them on.

b) Creating a "one off" tribute of a unique styling or individual show car: I would suggest modifying the emblems or naming slightly to avoid copyright or infringement discussions.

I hope that helps. It sounded much more insightful and conclusive in my head.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Lee Stewart (08-04-2021)