View Single Post
Old 03-27-2023, 02:33 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

This is an interesting post for me. The original owner of my 68Z (still kicking it) was a road racer and was sponsered by Nickey Chevrolet, and he told me a story of why he turned on GM and it seems to relate to this engine work they were doing.

He and some other racers were invited to GM research and there he saw their work on an overhead cam engine. He was so impressed and got excited (he is an engineer and had his own race shop in Joliet IL) BUT at the end of the presentation they made it clear they will not make these engines in the future. My car was the last GM car he ever owned, because he got so mad that GM would do such a thing. Went into Porsches from then on.

He is supposed to help me put the engine back together in the car he had here shortly once he takes car of some medical issues, just talked to him the other day. According to him the exact twin the car I have now (except for the JL8) was wrecked when he tried to get around an out of control mustang at road america. He rolled that car end over end and was able to walk away. They fined him because he still had his watch on which I guess was a no no. Nickey helped him order a second car at below cost which he (and they) intended to race, and after seeing that overcam engine at GM, he never took it to the track even though it had the off road package with the headers and crossram setup.

I can pick his brain when I see him on what he knew and saw on the overhead cam engines related to this article if anyone is interested. Seems like there is not a lot of info on them.

Last edited by black69; 03-27-2023 at 02:43 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to black69 For This Useful Post:
Carleen (03-27-2023), dustinm (03-27-2023), jer (03-27-2023), PeteLeathersac (03-27-2023)