View Single Post
Old 11-28-2022, 12:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 4,491 Times in 1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

Development is where you play around all day. These assignments are usually project based, either improving on an initial/existing design or addressing a specific customer complaint. Often there is no test procedure and the engineer has to create the process of how to evaluate the changes and what the pass/fail criteria should be. Normally this is where the old timers reside.
Those first couple moves occurred as I was replacing an older gentleman who was retiring.

The guy from Milford was named Hayes Hoboth. He was probably involved during the creation and development of dirt.

About that same time I had just finished reading Delorean’s book “On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors”. In it he describes this time when an engineer was trying to emulate the ride/handling of some MOPAR model and had procured a steering gear from that model. He had the gear put into one of our vehicles and was told the car was ready to drive. After clearing the hoist he turned the wheel to exit the building and immediately backed into a post. Trying to move forward he hit a couple more stationary objects before judiciously shutting everything down.

Turns out the gear was “front steer” and the car he put it in was “rear steer” (or vice versa, or whatever) and so the road wheels were turning in the opposite direction of the steering wheel. They hadn’t comprehended that prior to going for a drive.

Anyways – I went to Hayes’ retirement party. As the night wore on the stories got more animated and began to flow more lubriciously. At one point one of his buddies gets up and starts telling this story about how Hayes got this steering gear and then wrecked the car before he could even get out of the garage.

Turns out the guy I was replacing was the guy in Delorean’s book.

K
'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph best

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 11-28-2022 at 01:43 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Big Block Bill (11-28-2022), John Brown (11-28-2022), olredalert (11-28-2022), PeteLeathersac (11-28-2022), RPOLS3 (11-28-2022), scuncio (11-29-2022), Tenney (11-28-2022), Xplantdad (11-28-2022)