View Single Post
Old 10-23-2022, 12:21 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 3,930 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sStuff View Post

Mr. Wente,
Would that worn area in the Original paint on the RH side of the tailgate possibly be from a right handed person lifting to close that gate?

Also, are you able to keep the California Black & Yellow plates on the car after it’s registered in Iowa?
Chris, that is a very plausible explanation for that paint wear!

In Iowa we can do what's call Year of Manufacture (YOM) tags, meaning we can install original IA tags dated to the YOM of the car. Mount them to the car and have your current tags and registration inside the car. (I slide mine under the seat)
Years ago while at the court house transferring tags and title to a new purchase I asked "Does YOM apply to out of state tags original to this. car, but from the state it was sold new?" The clerk spent 15 or 20 minutes with her supervisor on the computer, and came back, "We don't find anything that says you can't, so it's ok"
I have never had a LEO question it, in fact we once took my L79 El Camino to lunch (original CA tags and dealer frames from Dahl Chevrolet in Oakland, repro 1967 sticker). FIVE State Troopers were there having lunch, I parked between two troopers cars, safe spot!
When they left, one of them bent over and scrutinized the front tag. Then went to the back and checked the rear tag closely. Then got in his car and left.
Must be ok!
Original tags stay where they belong!!

Bill W
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 67since67 For This Useful Post:
dustinm (10-23-2022), dykstra (10-23-2022)