View Single Post
Old 06-29-2021, 11:45 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,978 Times in 1,393 Posts

This pic is a repeat. Hard to see but I left the weld flange of the right trunk drop on the quarter panel. It was brazed on and buried in bondo to "blend" it.

That was this morning task...remove the rest of the drop and tail panel. I dug thru the bondo with a mini belt sander and then cut off the brazing.

There was bondo covering this cobbled mess too. I used the torch to melt out the brazing and cut the remnant off in the seal gutter.

Tail panel still had pieces of the old quarter holding the new one down too low. This was all leveled with filer too.
Once this was out of the way, I ground out the spot welds in the seal gutter with the mini belt sander and removed the last of the old tail panel. Forgot to take a pic of that.

I had to grind off 1/2" from the end of the tail panel to get it to sit in the quarter, but it fit's OK now. I'll have to make a decision about the rusted quarter later. Might let the bodyman/painter deal with that...

When I stopped yesterday, I thought I would come in today and prep and weld on the left inner wheel house repair section. After looking at the way the trunk drop interconnects with that and the tail panel made me stop and figure out the sequence of how this puzzle goes together. I did decide I can sneak the drop in after the quarter is on, so went ahead and prepped the section and welded it on. I left the last 8" or so loose for the drop to slip in and get welded later. It did take some hammer/dolly and bending to get all these pieces to fit snug, and I ended up with very tight gaps on all the parts.

1967 Camaro ss/rs
1938 Business coupe, street rod
2000 FXSTS, original owner, 13k miles
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Too Many Projects For This Useful Post:
1967Z28 (07-01-2021), big gear head (06-30-2021), Bill Pritchard (07-08-2021), dykstra (07-08-2021), markinnaples (06-30-2021), olredalert (06-30-2021), RPOLS3 (07-01-2021)