View Single Post
Old 05-08-2020, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Nova View Post
Did they ever rebuild the team after all those deaths? The Granite Mountain Hotshots seemed to be held in pretty high regards by the portrayal in the movie.

Never knew that it was the Prescott area I would have went by when I was up that way a few years ago? We have a place in Mesa that mom winters at.
I don't think they did. There was talk of it, but it cost the town millions when they died, insurance was a mess, and multiple law suits, so all I heard was that the town couldn't afford another team like that. I'm sure those law suits are probably still tied up in court.
However I still do see the Granite Mountain Hot Shot trucks running around when ever there is a forest fire or a controlled burn going on, I'm just not certain there is an actual Hot Shot team anymore, but we do have guys that go in on foot and fight these fires as that is the only way (other than plane and helicopter) to fight some of these fires. The terrain around here is extremely rugged, but beautiful.
If you were up in central Arizona you likely were in Prescott. We are about 90 miles North of Phoenix on top of the Bradshaw Mountain range. Mesa would be a little further, maybe 110 miles or so. I like the Mesa and Queen Creek area down there.