View Single Post
Old 01-29-2023, 01:58 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,556 Times in 1,175 Posts

Congrats Dave. Absolutely timeless body style. Climbing in value even today.

When evaluating cars that would be future classics back in the 80's, Road & Track ran a piece on the E9, which was very high on the list. The one caveat, which you already noted was: The bodies were assembled by Karmann, meaning they are very prone to rust. They went on to say: "Karmann invented rust, then licensed the process to the Italians."

I used to have 6 or 7 sets of those carbs laying around, but there was just no market for them. Hopefully, someone makes parts for them now. In the late 80s it was impossible to get the diaphragm. Plenty of aftermarket stuff available, both downdraft and side draft, and some will really wake that big six up, but given how original this one is, you are probably better keeping it as original as possible.

Strangely, the 4 doors from the same era (E3) all had four wheel disc brakes. I had a spare disc brake rear suspension sitting around for a while as well, thinking I would scoop up an E9 and make a CSL clone. Bad ass cars, and the one that put BMW on the map in the racing world.

Nothing but fun here. If you can't stand the slush box (and they are NOT nearly as bullet proof as the engines) converting to a stick is quite easy. Weekend job for me. Lunch break job for you.
markinnaples (01-30-2023)