View Single Post
Old 01-26-2023, 09:15 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamAirBirds View Post
I think we are determining here that what happened with Chevrolet did NOT necessarily happen with Pontiac. In this case in seems that the 12 bolt installed in the PONTIAC F Body did not get the black paint as researched through several original cars now including one that I own. In the case of Chevrolet who DID get the axles delivered to assembly painted black YES the entire assy was painted after being built including the axle cover and bolts. The axle backing plates however seem to have been painted just around the tube leaving much of the backing plate natural metal. If you look at the other thread I started before this one
"69 F Body Rear Axle Color *Latest Consensus*"
you will see the discussion of the Chevrolet axles a little more in depth.
I'm on the "Chevy side" of this discussion but my understanding was that the 1970 F-body 12-bolt was the same regardless whether it was installed in a Firebird or Camaro and even carried the same codes. If this is the case, would it make sense to have a different paint process and how would the production plant differentiate Chevy vs. Pontiac?...I know, I'm trying to instill logic in a mass production environment from 52 years ago... My theory, (unsubstantiated, but plausible), is the paint used on the rear axle assembly was the same as used on master cylinders and brake calipers...and it "evaporated" early in the vehicle's life...but again, that is just a theory.

1970 Z28, Norwood 03A, 48 48, 723 Int, M20, COO, 2021 Legends Platinum restored
1970 L78, Norwood 04C, 17 17, 711 Int, M21, COO, born-with drivetrain project.
1972 Z28, Norwood 11C project, born-with drivetrain, 26 26, 775, M20, CGG project
1970 Z28, Norwood 05C, 48 G, 720 Int, M21, COZ, Original Unrestored (SOLD)
www.2ndGenZ.com