Thread: Muncie issue
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNovaSS View Post
Andy,

Has this always been an issue or is it fairly new? I agree with Mitch. If it is not going all the way into gear then it could pop out on deceleration. Check bushings and the adjustment by putting a proper drill bit throug the neutral hole in the shifter and check your adjustments. If it’s a Hurst shifter, also be sure the detent limiter bolt is not too tight since limits how far the lever pushes the fork.

LT1Vette,

I disagree on sending it back to the builder. We don’t even know if this is a recent problem or it has been happening all along. Why do you say with certainty that it is an internal issue? After 10k miles, lots can happen. If this has been happening for 10k miles, then lots of damage could have happened simply from having things out of adjustment this long. If it is a recent issue, it could be very simple. Calling the builder to troubleshoot may be an option though.

Jason
Jason,

I've noticed it the last couple of times I've drove the car over the past year or so and it's progressively gotten worse. I'm lucky to get a chance to drive it every 3 months due to my current schedule. My drive on Saturday wasn't really enjoyable because it continued to pop out of gear, much worse than before.

I have had to send the trans back to the builder once before, but that was due to an internal failure of 3rd gear. Several teeth broke off of it during a spirited drive,(no missed gears or powershifting) and was told it was replaced with a new one. This was around 7 years ago and has only had about 3-4 K miles put on it since then.

When I first put the trans in it, if I recall correctly, I used metal bushings on the linkage, something similar to this. https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speed...et,408860.html The shifter (Hurst competition plus) was new, as was the linkage and shift levers. I did the adjustment on the shifter with the trans out of the car prior to first putting it in so that I could easily see everything. I'll go through and check the condition of the bushings, the linkage adjustment, stop adjustment and shift levers first before I pull the trans to check the internals.

Thanks for the feedback.