View Single Post
Old 12-09-2021, 06:25 PM
Yenko Contributing Member

Thanked 2,157 Times in 669 Posts

I have attended 28 collector car auctions over the years. IMHO this is a serious situation, primarily concerning ‘60s- ‘70s muscle cars. I have noted problems at nearly every auction.

It is impossible to do any sort of comprehensive examination at an auction. You are expected to accept the claims of the consignor, for which the auction company bears no responsibility. Even with limited access, I have seen reproduction documents, reproduction body tags, VIN tags that have been removed and re-installed.

When the factory VIN tag installation has been breached, there is no simple manner of determining if it has been re-installed on the original body structure. I have seen several cars noted as having been re-bodied on the hard card, but they sometimes phrase it so as not to use the term ‘re-body’. Most cars have confidential VINs [con VIN] stamped in somewhat inaccessible areas of the vehicle. Viewing them may require minor disassembly; the restoration process often covers them with paint. Many DMVs will examine the con VIN on cars brought in from other states. When they don’t match, you have a problem. They may impound the car, usually require a state-assigned VIN tag. Some states will require it for a tag with non-OE rivets. Some early VIN tags were spot-welded to the body.

One auction company leads the industry in having a staff of inspectors. They vet cars prior to the auction. Discrepancies will require changes to the descriptions. Major problems may result in the car being rejected. They are Marque experts but that only goes so far. All their consignments now have this statement at the bottom of the on-line vehicle description, regardless of vintage.

VIN NOTICE: DEPENDING ON THE STATE OF REGISTRATION OF THE BUYER, THE VEHICLE MAY REQUIRE AN INSPECTION AND BE SUBJECT TO A STATE-ISSUED VIN AND/OR OTHER REQUIREMENTS OF THAT STATE.
67since67 (12-09-2021), 69M22Z (12-10-2021), carnut4life (12-09-2021), napa68 (12-09-2021), PeteLeathersac (12-09-2021), R68GTO (12-09-2021), SPEEDYB (12-10-2021), Xplantdad (12-09-2021)