Thread: Donna Mae Mims
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 AM
Yenko Contributing Member

Default Re: Donna Mae Mims

The last meeting I had with Donna Mae she signed a special pink SCW shirt we had made for the auction. My family went along that day to meet her, and as always she was extra nice to me. My daughter who is 13 wants to race cars and was very excited to meet such a legendary gender breaking woman. Not many like her were driving race cars in those early days of the sport. She wanted to make sure I had a few items to take to the reunion, since she was not able to attend. She told me she had been feeling ill and was so disappointed she was unable to attend the SCR. Just a few weeks earlier I spent the entire day with her at the Steel City Corvette Clubs Chevrolet meet. I had David Boland's Royal Plum '67 Yenko, and she was so excited to see it. She was always willing to share her memories about her days with Yenko and always made sure she told you she "Never worked a day in her life" when she was with Yenko. "We did it for the love of the cars" she would say....Words that are 100% true, but are so often forgotten today. I will miss Donna Mae greatly....BKH